Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Flower Power

About two months ago, I wrote a blog entry about my dream cutting garden. I didn't really think anyone would care about this topic, but I was wrong! I actually received a lot of feedback and encouragment, so I thought all of you flower lovers out there might appreciate an update.

But first a moment of pure, unadulterated wonder ...


This, my friends, is MY very own amazing two-toned hydrangea! I stare at it every day. It is the fruit of three years of wishing and wanting. It is the apple of my eye. It is the wind beneath ... ok ... I'll stop! But I am very proud of it!

Back to the cutting garden ... my garden grew beautifully. Gardens tend to do that when there is sun in the equation. On the other hand, moss grows beautifully at my house ....

And so my dream came true. I was able to cut handfuls of bright, cheerful flowers whenever I wanted!

I enjoyed creating little bouquets to sprinkle in random spots throughout the B&B.

And then came Irene ... dumping an astounding 12 inches of rain into our little valley. Streams and rivers went wild and began to run where they had never run before. One of them chose to run right through the town garden, churning over plants in a 5 feet deep torrent.

The next day, we drove down to the garden to check it out.


Where once beautiful veggies stood ready to harvest, we now found mud, crumpled fences, debris and broken plants.

At first, the gardeners thought they could salvage a lot of the produce and even some of the plants, but then the reality sunk in. This garden had been saturated with filthy flood water. Water carrying potential disease and toxins from flowing through garages, basements, barnyards, etc. It was determined that nothing could be used from the garden.

Nothing that needed to be eaten, that is ...


From the mud and mire, the sunny marigolds, vibrant zinnias and happy snapdragons struggled their way back toward the sun.

My dream was that my flowers would bring joy to all who saw them. And they have! In fact, they even received a mention (anonymously) in the community worship service the following Sunday.

After all, it is the simple things that promise hope in the midst of devastation.

No comments: