Monday, December 26, 2011

Quiet Beauty

November and December are usually quiet months here at the Snow Goose. Months to catch up on projects, to take walks, to think and to reconnect with friends and family. Each year, I'm learning to freak out less when the phone stops ringing with reservations and to embrace the friendship of quiet days.

This year as the season slowed, I found myself seeking out places of quiet beauty ....

One of my favorite discoveries was the beautiful little beaver pond behind the girls' school

A pine needle covered path winds around the pond with several benches for reading or thinking

I love the peaceful reflections




And the little spots of beauty that wait to be discovered along the path

The walkway built through the marsh feels like a bridge leading to a mystical land ... and I love the sound my shoes make on the wooden planks.


Everyone should have a beaver pond in their life. It's good for the body and spirit!

We haven't had much winter yet ... just one good snowfall, but it was a beauty!



Our Adirondack chair became a throne for a winter king to sit upon

Usually the snow here is so fluffy and dry that it won't pack. This snow was perfect for building a snowy friend.


The next morning, I awoke to breathtaking beauty as the sun hit the snow covered trees in our yard. Don't these two giants look like they are standing guard over the forest?

And then the sky darkened and it seemed as if the branches of the trees glowed from within. This iridescence lasted only about two minutes, but thankfully, I was in the right place at the right time. And my camera batteries were charged!


Wayne went for a hike and came across this somewhat disconcerting woodland creature!

He also took this beautiful photo from a ridge on Snow Mountain behind our barn

I feel so thankful for these quiet moments. They are truly gifts and have refreshed my body and spirit for the busy days that lie ahead. I hope that you have found your own moments of "peace on earth" as you head into the coming year. If not, go find some! You'll feel a whole lot better, I promise!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You take such beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Happy New Year!

robstop said...

Your eye to see the unique, creative and beautiful is inspiration. Blessings on your new year and family!
Rob

Christian said...

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/blogs.list/

Not sure how this works but I found a Blog section on the Adirondack Daily Online.. wonder if you could submit to get your blog on there. Hugs!