Friday, July 22, 2011

Sunny Summer Splendor

Ladies and Gentlemen ... we are having a SUMMER here in Keene Valley! Whew! The temperatures have been soaring into the high 80's for days and even popped over the 90 degree mark yesterday! Now all of you friends in PA, VA, MD, SC, etc. ... I know that you are probably thinking of how much hotter it is where you live and you are right. BUT remember that here in the North Country, we don't have air conditioning! So when it's 92 outside, it's pretty close to the same inside!


We are sweating it out!


Last night, in a desparate attempt for sleep, we actually crashed one of our guest rooms (they have AC)! Don't worry, there were no guests in the room that night! The inn is full tonight, so it's back to our steamy bedroom.


All of this heat and sun has done wonders for the vegetation in our yard and the town garden. The flowers around the inn look the best they've looked since we've moved in. I thought you might enjoy a little floral tour of our shady woodland garden.


Yes ... it's mid July and my pansies are still going gangbusters!

They'd have croaked a long time ago in PA!

I don't remember what these little coral flowers are called, but they provide a pretty little pop of color in several spots in the garden.


I've always loved Salvia .. they provide color even in shady spots.


Oh how I love Foxglove. Someday I'm going to have a whole flower bed of Foxglove

My bitty little Hydrangeas who have sat serenely in the shade for 3 years are actually going to bloom this year. I'm very excited!


Shasta daisies and other flowers surround the lamp post

I love Astilbe almost as much as Foxglove. And there is that mysterious little coral colored flower popping again.

Ferns and Coralbells

I love that one brilliant red leaf!

More lavendar Astilbe in the backyard



The Day Lilies have decided to bloom this year!



Hosta makes me feel cooler just looking at it



I realized that even though we live in the woods and I can't grow a lot of things, I am still surrounded by amazing beauty.


My plot at the town garden is coming along well.


Planting day! I planted sun-loving flowers like Cosmos, Zinnias, Marigolds, etc.


And here ... is my first harvest!!


My first pretty little bouquet gracing the guestbook/brochure table. There will be many more!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Beautiful, Amy! When Seth and I have a home, one of the first things I would like to plant is foxglove--I love it as well! :)

ReadSuperbs said...

The post is so beaufiful on the worthwhile topic let me introduce you Forex Market awesome collection, hope you will keep posting good material.